A tour through two of Winnipeg's inner city neighborhoods - the North End and Point Douglas - may surprise some. Every once in a while, an ornate historic home pops up. This should not be too surprising considering that the majority of the housing stock in this area was built between 1880 to the 1930's. One will find a number of Queen Anne, Second Empire, and other styles of houses.
The most notable example is 494 College Avenue built in 1906. A red brick Queen Anne, it's become known informally as "the Castle" (below)
504 College Avenue shares the same builders as its neighbour, but less ornate ornamentation (below).
74 Higgins Avenue in South Point Douglas was built in 1889 for J. W. Ackland, founder of the Ackland's company. It is wood frame construction, with decorative bargeboard gables.
43 Boyle Street in South Point Douglas was built in 1900. It is a beautiful wood-framed Victorian home with decorative gables and a limestone foundation.
17 Luxton Avenue in Scotia Heights was built in 1909. It is a woodframed Queen Anne.
177 Machray Avenue was built in 1914 and is a notable version of the Craftsman style. (below)
291 Magnus Avenue was built in the Second Empire style in 1885 (below)
95 Luxton Avenue was built for local butcher J. B. Lauzon in 1895 and is one of the city's finest Victorian houses. His butcher shop was located at 339 William Avenue in the Exchange.
231 Austin Street (built 1894) (below)
440 Mountain Avenue is a Queen Anne house of wood frame construction built in 1913 (below)
45 Lily Street in South Point Douglas was built in 1893 for Daniel McDonald of Confederation Life Association and is one of the city's earliest Queen Anne houses.
453 Mountain Avenue was built in 1882 and is a wood framed Victorian house with snubbed gables.
82 St. Cross Street was built in 1911.
79 Hallet Street is a brick duplex built in 1885.
227 Austin Street is a beautiful wood-framed duplex built in 1905 that features very ornate woodwork .
121 Euclid Avenue was built in 1911. It is a Queen Anne home with an attatched retail store, and it currently serves as Metro Meats.
59 Scotia Street was built in 1887, a brick Second Empire home.
247 Manitoba Avenue is one of a few remaining Second Empire terraces, built in 1909.
101 Lorne Avenue is a smaller example of a Second Empire house, built in 1881, however it is in poor shape.
87 Redwood Avenue was built in 1903.
428 Mountain Avenue is a fine example of a Queen Anne House, built in 1907.
123 Euclid Avenue was built in 1889, next to Metro Meats (see photo). A great Second Empire home.
476 and 480 Powers Avenue are two beautiful Queen Anne homes next door to each other, both built in 1913.
94 Cathedral Avenue was built in 1894, a beautiful example of Victorian craftsmanship.